Monday, January 7, 2013

The Monetary Cost of Juicing

The cost of juicing in the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead stuck in my head days after watching it. Phil went to Walmart and bought his supply of juicing and it averaged about $14 a day. When he went to a local health food store, his average skyrocketed to $28 a day. Not wanting to get into that trap, I decided that I would be as frugal as possible with this.

Since I haven't have good experiences with my local Walmart's produce section (everything else is fine), I decided to rethink where to purchase my fruits and veggies for juicing on a budget. I remembered that Costco has a produce section (yes, they sell things other than $1.50 hot dog & soda combos). When I visited their store on Thursday, here's what I bought:

  • 2 bags of carrots
  • 1 bag of red apples
  • 1 flat of granny smith apples
  • 1 box of blueberries
  • 1 pineapple
  • 1 box of tomatoes (yuck)
  • 1 package of cucumbers
  • 1 large bag of spinach
  • 1 bag of Cuties
  • 1 bag of mini bell peppers
Total cost per person (2 people) for one week 1-2 juices each per day: $5

I think we can swing that. I rarely drink coffee, but that's about the cost of a coffee from Starbuck's! 



No comments:

Post a Comment