Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Blood Red Surprise

There are few foods I don't like. My number one nemesis is a tomato. I can't handle the acidic smell, the slimy feel, or the nasty taste. Devil's apples. I thought I didn't like them because I was in a huge tomato fight at my uncle's farm when I was really young. But when I was pregnant with my son, and we found out he LOVES tomatoes, my mom informed me that I never had liked them. It made me feel better. It also made me happy that he likes them because it is a pain in the rear picking tomatoes (especially sliced or diced ones) out of just about every Italian dish. I do love salsa though. Don't ask. Seriously, don't.

Another lesser liked food is kiwi. I've grown to tolerate them in fruit salads, but that's pretty much it. They, like tomatoes, are pretty slimy on the inside, but they have something that tomatoes don't. Crunchy seeds. It gives me flashbacks to finding sand in my food when visiting the beach. By the way, I love ocean themed things (in fact, my favorite animal is a dolphin), but not a huge fan of the beach due to all the sand. Pretty to look at, not much fun to eat.

My favorite new addition to my juice is something I never thought I'd ever eat let alone drink. I can remember my mom putting these on our tuna salads when I was growing up. We'd have crisp delicious iceberg lettuce, with a huge glob of tuna, chunks of cheddar cheese, hard-boiled egg slices, and then...beets.

EWWW! I love love LOVE brussel sprouts, but beets are not my thing. But juiced. Oh my! They not only turn my drink into the most gorgeous shade of red, but they actually sweeten it up too. The most tricky part of juicing beets is the aftermath. I have to make complete sure I don't spill a drop on my clothes when I clean out the juicer. I also need to make sure I don't give myself a beet mustache. And going to the bathroom the next day is quite entertaining. I won't spoil your surprise should you choose to juice with beets.


My latest beet recipe:
  • 2 oranges
  • 4 carrots
  • 2 handfuls of kale
  • 1 granny smith apple
  • 1 washington red apple
  • 1 beet 



No comments:

Post a Comment